News and Upcoming Events
Opportunities in Lent
- Peoples of Prayer. 6:00-7:15 p.m. in the Assembly Room of the Parish Life Center. Bring a dish to share
- An opportunity to explore prayer from different faith traditions. Come and listen to guest speakers within and outside of the parish. This series includes a field trip - visiting a mosque to meet our Muslim friends in their worship space! In order for adults with children to participate, we will have a “soft space” available with quiet activities for children.
- Service as a Lenten Discipline. Looking for a way to observe Lent? Consider serving at Central Texas Food Bank on Wednesday evenings from 6:00-8:30 in the warehouse. You can find more information here. The process to sign up is quick and user-friendly, so grab a friend and serve together!
Sundays at 10:15 a.m.
- You Do Not Labor in Vain. Join seminarian Jonathan McManus-Dail in the Upper Room of the Parish Life Center.
- Come and listen to interviews with fellow St. Alban’s Parishioners as they talk about the ways they are living out their calling to be followers of Jesus by serving some of the most vulnerable people in our wider Austin community! We’ll connect these stories of service and justice to our shared, Christian story in Holy Scripture and our Episcopal Tradition of Prayer. Already engaged in such work? I pray that you’ll find yourself renewed and refreshed. Are you curious about what St. Alban’s is doing in the wider community and wondering how you might be called to serve? I pray that you’ll find yourself inspired by what God is doing through people just like you! Come join us Sunday Mornings in Lent during the Enriching Faith Hour!
- Contemplating the Gospel. This class is led by Rev. Erin in the Parlor.
- We listen to the Gospel reading for the following Sunday three times. We do so in order to hear and name what Jesus is offering, signs of resistance to Jesus, and human responses to Jesus with which we can identify. Come and experience this powerful method of reflection that St. Alban’s staff learned in the Associated Parishes for Liturgy and Mission’s “Becoming the Story We Tell” conference.
Lunch Needed for Habitat Build
Want to be a part of the St. Alban’s Habitat Build on March 23 but don’t want to “build?” Here’s your chance! St. Alban’s has volunteered to feed everyone working on our particular house that day. It doesn't need to be anything complex... sandwiches and chips are more than sufficient. If you are able to participate by serving and/or providing food, please contact Annie Downing Gillespie at email@example.com or text at 512-216-0925 to coordinate details. Thanks so much!
Choir Preparing for Holy Week and Easter
Anyone who enjoys singing and would like to make a short-term commitment to sing with the choir, please come to rehearsal starting Wednesday, March 13 at 7:15 p.m. immediately following the Lenten mid-week supper and program. We rehearse until 8:30. We’d love to have the choir pews full for all of the Holy Week and Easter Sunday services. For those who find it difficult to devote time each week to come to rehearsal, this is an excellent opportunity for a short-term commitment!
On Sunday, February 17, St. Alban’s Rector and Vestry unanimously voted that Jesus was indeed leading us to liturgically celebrate same sex marriage in St. Alban’s sanctuary. Details to follow in a parish wide mailing. Your Rector and vestry appreciate your prayers, comments, and participation in biblical and liturgical study.
Signed, Sealed, Delivered: Baptism and Confirmation
In Baptism, we are adopted into the family of the Body of Christ by being marked with the sign of the cross, sealed with oil, and delivered from evil in the waters of baptism. In Confirmation, older youth and adults make an informed choice to reaffirm the baptismal promises made on their behalf when they were younger and to affirm living the Christian faith as a part of the Episcopal Church. If you are interested in these sacraments for you or your children, please speak with Rev. Erin (512-297-9981) and plan to attend "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" on Saturday, March 16 from 10:00 a.m. -4:00 p.m. with light lunch provided. The Bishop will be at St. Alban's on March 31 to baptize and confirm at the 11:15 a.m. service.
The Bishop is coming!
A Bishop from the Diocese of Texas makes an annual visit to each congregation in the diocese. This year we will welcome the Rt. Rev. Philip M. Duncan, who served as bishop of the Diocese of the Central Gulf Coast (2001-2015) and guided his diocese through Katrina, Ivan, and more. Following Bishop Duncan's retirement, he and his wife Kathy moved to Austin to be closer to family and periodically assists with visitations and confirmations for the Diocese of Texas. Bishop Duncan will confirm and receive youth and adults who have prepared for receiving this sacrament at the 11:15 a.m. service on March 31.
Gentle Reminder about Driving Carefully Round the Remembrance Garden
Please take extra care when circumnavigating the Remembrance Garden. The limestone blocks surrounding the garden are fragile and lose every time they make contact with a vehicle. Help us conserve this special place by making sure not to turn too sharply.
El Buen Samaritano Episcopal Mission
One of our Community Partners is El Buen Samaritano, whose mission is a “commitment to helping Latino and other families in Central Texas lead healthy, productive and secure lives through high-quality and affordable healthcare, education and basic needs services.” St. Alban’s collects canned goods year-round for El Buen’s food pantry! You can place items in the red wagon in the lobby of the Parish Life Center. Want more information? Contact St. Alban’s parishioner Jennifer Cawley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Good News About Friends of St. Alban's
The Rev. Pam Graham Called to Serve in Santa Fe
The Rev. Pam Graham, long-time parishioner, former seminarian, and former Minister to Children, has been called to serve as the Associate Rector at the Episcopal Church of the Holy Faith in Santa Fe, New Mexico. January 13 was her last Sunday at St. Thomas in Rockdale, TX. She starts her new calling on February 3. We are thankful for Pam’s longtime friendship and ministry and wish her well on this new endeavor.
The Rev. Nick Earl Ordained to the Priesthood
On January 5, St. Alban’s former seminarian Nick Earl was ordained to the priesthood at Grace Episcopal Church in Galveston, TX where he is serving as Priest-In-Charge. Congratulations to Nick and his family!
The Rev. Suzanne Smith Ordained to the Priesthood
On Jan. 13, Suzanne Smith was ordained to the priesthood and is serving at Grace Episcopal Church in Alvin, TX. Suzanne is married to the Rev. Travis Smith (Rector at Holy Comforter Episcopal Church in Angleton, TX) who is a former St. Alban’s seminarian. Suzanne was a valued part of our community when Travis was with St. Alban’s.
Senior Serenity: Senior Serenity meets on the second Friday of the month at 11:30 a.m. Come and join us for a potluck luncheon, sharing, prayer, and study! For more information, please contact Ann Brotherton at email@example.com
Brotherhood of St. Andrew (BoSA): The St. Alban’s chapter of the Brotherhood of St. Andrew meets on the second Saturday (8:30 a.m.) and third Sunday (10:15 a.m.) of each month for fellowship, prayer, service, and study. All St. Alban’s men are invited!
Clickety Clack: Crafters who Care: Clickety Clack typically meets the second and fourth Saturday of each month from 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. in the parlor of the Parish Life Center. Knitters, crocheters, all crafters are invited and welcome!
Can you read music and keep the beat? The St. Alban’s Handbell Choir could be for you! This group rehearses on Sundays from 2:30-3:30 p.m.. For more information, please contact Director of Music Dottie Norman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Parish Announcements Want something about your ministry in the bulletin announcement insert, weekly eNews, St. Alban's Facebook page, and/or parish website? Send information to St. Alban's Communication Officer Lisa Perez at email@example.com. Even if the meeting is a recurring one, please make sure to contact Lisa so that we double check that it's on the parish calendar in the parish office and we get out timely reminders.
Want something in the spoken announcements or do you want to make a spoken parish ministry related announcement on a Sunday? Contact Rev. Erin firstname.lastname@example.org, 512-282-5631 (office), or 512-297-9981 (cell).
Parish Prayer Lists St. Alban’s maintains two separate parish prayer lists. One is public, and is published each Sunday in the worship bulletin. Names remain on this list for a month, unless Rev. Erin is contacted to renew that request. The second prayer list is unpublished and confidential, maintained by the Daughters of the King.
Large Print Worship Materials: Large print materials for Sunday morning worship are available in the Narthex (lobby) of the church. Please return the large print materials after the service.